Dojo4 just recertified as a B Corp. Again. And we'll keeping doing it, for lots of reasons. It's been almost 6 years since we first certified as a company that is committed to changing the world for the better, by how and why we do business. Periodic recertification involves a lot of work, measuring and documenting those commitments, but has also provided great insight into how far we've come (e.g. environmental practices and governance) and how far we still have to go (e.g. diversity and inclusion). And.. we know it's not about the numbers but we got a score of 109.4 this time! Just sayin.
Every certification has it's pros and cons, but being B Corp certified has really done nothing but good for Dojo4. Here's the short list of why I recommend becoming a B Corp to every company:
- Marketing - We haven't spent a dime on marketing since we became a B Corp. Having the cerification badge on our website, being able to win Best for the World (and Colorado) awards and being able to talk with our potential clients about what it means to be a B Corp has been all the marketing we need. It frames the conversations we want to be having.
- Community - The B Corp community is an impressive cohort of inspiring, hardworking and collaborative organizations that have been both a pleasure and major benefit to belong to. They've allowed us to be part of a global economy of reliable resources for best practices and a valuable network for forwarding the success of our business.
- Roadmap - It's easy to want to make a positive impact. But it's harder to know how to do that well. The B Corp assessment and community both provide a rich resource for practical know-how and inspirational visioning.
- Meaning - Last but maybe most importantly: what does all the effort we put into our company amount to if it feels meaningless. Meaning is the currency that gives our company real value. We are in a constant cycle of forgetting the purpose of our business, losing heart and then being reminded once again. Being a B Corp has provided us with a safety net to help us from falling off that cycle of finding meaning. The principles of interdependence, symbolized by B Corps, give us the fundamental purpose of being of benefit, that we to come back to over and over again.
When we just got B Corp recertification term sheet, it came with the Declaration of Interdependence that pretty much sums it all up. I was proud and glad to put my signature on it once again. Clearly, our world needs this more than ever.
Declaration of Interdependence.
We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good. This economy is comprised of a new type of corporation— the Certified B Corporation—which is purpose-driven and creates benefit for all stakeholders, not just shareholders. As B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.